small steps

 I have decided to finally start working out. 

After E was born, the world shut down and the best I could do for exercise was walk around my neighborhood pushing her in a stroller -- which works great during hot months but not so great when its freezing and you have to bundle up not only yourself but E as well. 

Needless to say I put the "exercise and get into shape" bit on the back burner. 

I was in fact a new mom trying to figure out schedules and finish up my undergraduate degree and also find a job all at the same time. 

It was not conducive to consistent exercise on my part. 

. . .

The past couple of days I have been doing mountain climbers, flutter kicks, planks, push ups, etc all from my bedroom. 

And it has been really hard!

I had a caesarean section when E was born and my abs have never recovered (maybe I'll do a blog post about her birth story soon....) . 

I did not realize that unintentionally as I was, I was babying my abs and not allowing them to stretch and grow back into what they were previously. 

I roll to the side to sit up in almost any position I am in -- just as I did when I was recovering. 

Hence, the ab workouts I have attempted have made me feel like a baby who is trying to learn to sit up on their own.

Just as E probably feels trying to walk. She has been pulling herself up on objects more and makes such excellent progress! But when I put her standing up behind her push walker, she immediately freezes up and sits down as her muscles are not developed enough yet to actually walk on her own. 

E and her favorite walker 

I love E! 

E trying to pull herself up 


. . .

As I was working out last night, I started to think about how this exercise process I am undertaking is similar to the process of repentance. 

It is never too late to start again and try to be better no matter how long it's been since we have tried or have been away. 

Christ always welcomes us back with open arms. 

A Moment with Christ


He wants us to try again and better yet He doesn't mock us for the weak way in which we try to hold a plank or in gospel terms keep the commandments. 

Christ takes us where we are. 
He doesn't try to force us to walk before we can. 
He doesn't try to push us into anything before we have decided to ourselves.
He is patient with us -- just as our loving Heavenly Father is.

Just as I have mentioned in another blogpost, God loves effort

Just by attempting along the covenant path, we are blessed. 

And the longer we are on it the stronger we become, the happier we become, and the easier it becomes to continue. 

I have seen this as I have strived to consistently work out and be healthier, as time has moved on, I have noticed that it has become easier to keep myself on this track. 

Just like it has been easier to be on the covenant path as I have made covenants, kept commandments, and progressed. 

And I look forward to the day when I will finally be able to sit up in bed without rolling to the side first. 

Just as I look forward to the day when all the small efforts of living the gospel will be rewarded.

It'll be a great day. 

xoxo, M

To document my progress in this journey





Comments

Popular Posts