The First Date - Date Week
you know how sometimes life throws you a curveball and you just don't think this curveball is going to work out? or you try to will yourself into thinking that the unplanned and unexpected plans cannot be the right path? (more about this in a later blog post)
Well, guess what so did this girl... back in October after a series of dates.
But I'll get into that later.
C and I went on a double date on Tuesday, October 23, as I was always told that if you are worried about being alone with someone right off the bat, go on a double date. So we did just that. I invited one of my old companions and C invited one of his and we went on a double. It was interesting as C was so much taller than I had remembered and due to the fact that I am extremely awkward with hugs involving the opposite sex, I awkwardly hugged him and then vowed to never do that again. (I am so awkward with hugs that once my best friend H and I spent an evening practicing giving hugs to one another). We went on a pleasant drive up the canyon and had a picnic followed by playing a little game of SpikeBall. Our picnic included Lunchables and this giant tub of sourdough pretzels from Costco lol. I remember thinking wow this is the most lowkey picnic I have ever been on lol but it was fun nonetheless to discuss the mission and people dating from our mission and other things of that nature. After it started to get dark we drove back down the canyon and went bowling in which I proceeded to get wrecked by all of the others on the date, as I am the worst bowler ever. The date ended and my companion, H asked me "so what do you think of this guy?" And all I could manage was a giant grin and a nod because I was already so head over heels in love with this guy (but you know that's a little weird to admit after the first date).
The next day C asked me if I would be willing to FaceTime. Now I actually am the worst at FaceTime or calls for that matter because I usually get bored and end up browsing social media or the internet. (I think this is my own personal form of ADD haha). So I hesitantly agreed and we FaceTimed for over 2 hours that Wednesday night. I remember laughing and talking with C and thinking wow I could do this forever. And then I looked at the time and saw that it was almost midnight and that I had a 9 am class tomorrow and unfortunately had to go. However, I had mentioned that the next day I had a 7:45-9:50 pm in a town that was an hour away which would require me to take a train and I wouldn't get back to my apartment until around midnight. I could tell C was disappointed that we wouldn't be able to talk very much that night and so he offered to drive me to my class. I was shocked but super grateful because the train freaking sucked so I agreed and that was that.
C has a way of making a date out of everything, so he picked me up from my apartment and proceeded to tell me that we were going to go and find some costumes for our Halloween date on Friday. We couldn't find anything and so C told me that during my class he would go and find some things. I was confused, I sincerely thought that C was just going to drop me off at my class and I would have to take the train back. But no! He was so generous that he was going to wait almost 2 hours while I was at my class. Seriously I was floored! This guy was the nicest guy I had ever met! Wow who knew that someone would be so kind and generous. (He later told me that it was because he wanted to spend as much time as possible with me)
That next day C and I had our first official date together (minus the double and all the times we facetimed or talked). C made this incredible pasta and I put on all this crazy makeup to complete my costume. I remember talking to C and telling him all about my life and just feeling so open and comfortable with him. He made me feel safe. We party hopped as all of the parties we went to were a little lame haha. As it was getting later C offered to take me home but I just wanted to be with him. We drove around for a bit and then sat in the parking lot in front of my apartment for a while. As we sat there, C asked me the equivalent question of "going steady" and I internally freaked out. This was going wayyyyy too fast. Woah what the heck was I going to say?? He was staring at me expectantly and I was freaking out. What was I going to do? I had this feeling that if I said yes my life would never be the same and that it would most likely lead to us getting married but my rational side wanted to say no. So instead I just said okay and smiled weakly. He was stoked and I was still freaking out. I was worried that all of my well thought out plans for myself were now uprooted.
I called my mom, mind you it is 12:30 at night at this point, and told her and she laughed and said she knew this was going to happen. I sat in my empty bathtub telling her that I was worried that I had rushed into this decision and what if I was wrong and wasted my time.. and all these other irrational fears that a 21-year-old girl has when she has never had a boyfriend before. She told me that everything that was supposed to happen would happen and that I need not freak out about the future because "He's a really nice guy Marin, and it will be good for you to finally be around a boy who wants to be around you".
And ultimately it was. I just had to believe that. And it didn't happen over night. There were times when I thought I was making the wrong choice and poor C was so patient and willing to wait until I got there. And I have been forever grateful for that. My life has truly never been the same since that Saturday in October where I received a FaceBook message. And I am so glad it happened. Life is so much better with C.
And life is so much better when you stop trying to control every detail and enjoy the ride.
xoxo
M
Well, guess what so did this girl... back in October after a series of dates.
But I'll get into that later.
C and I went on a double date on Tuesday, October 23, as I was always told that if you are worried about being alone with someone right off the bat, go on a double date. So we did just that. I invited one of my old companions and C invited one of his and we went on a double. It was interesting as C was so much taller than I had remembered and due to the fact that I am extremely awkward with hugs involving the opposite sex, I awkwardly hugged him and then vowed to never do that again. (I am so awkward with hugs that once my best friend H and I spent an evening practicing giving hugs to one another). We went on a pleasant drive up the canyon and had a picnic followed by playing a little game of SpikeBall. Our picnic included Lunchables and this giant tub of sourdough pretzels from Costco lol. I remember thinking wow this is the most lowkey picnic I have ever been on lol but it was fun nonetheless to discuss the mission and people dating from our mission and other things of that nature. After it started to get dark we drove back down the canyon and went bowling in which I proceeded to get wrecked by all of the others on the date, as I am the worst bowler ever. The date ended and my companion, H asked me "so what do you think of this guy?" And all I could manage was a giant grin and a nod because I was already so head over heels in love with this guy (but you know that's a little weird to admit after the first date).
Bowling on our Double Date
The next day C asked me if I would be willing to FaceTime. Now I actually am the worst at FaceTime or calls for that matter because I usually get bored and end up browsing social media or the internet. (I think this is my own personal form of ADD haha). So I hesitantly agreed and we FaceTimed for over 2 hours that Wednesday night. I remember laughing and talking with C and thinking wow I could do this forever. And then I looked at the time and saw that it was almost midnight and that I had a 9 am class tomorrow and unfortunately had to go. However, I had mentioned that the next day I had a 7:45-9:50 pm in a town that was an hour away which would require me to take a train and I wouldn't get back to my apartment until around midnight. I could tell C was disappointed that we wouldn't be able to talk very much that night and so he offered to drive me to my class. I was shocked but super grateful because the train freaking sucked so I agreed and that was that.
C has a way of making a date out of everything, so he picked me up from my apartment and proceeded to tell me that we were going to go and find some costumes for our Halloween date on Friday. We couldn't find anything and so C told me that during my class he would go and find some things. I was confused, I sincerely thought that C was just going to drop me off at my class and I would have to take the train back. But no! He was so generous that he was going to wait almost 2 hours while I was at my class. Seriously I was floored! This guy was the nicest guy I had ever met! Wow who knew that someone would be so kind and generous. (He later told me that it was because he wanted to spend as much time as possible with me)
That next day C and I had our first official date together (minus the double and all the times we facetimed or talked). C made this incredible pasta and I put on all this crazy makeup to complete my costume. I remember talking to C and telling him all about my life and just feeling so open and comfortable with him. He made me feel safe. We party hopped as all of the parties we went to were a little lame haha. As it was getting later C offered to take me home but I just wanted to be with him. We drove around for a bit and then sat in the parking lot in front of my apartment for a while. As we sat there, C asked me the equivalent question of "going steady" and I internally freaked out. This was going wayyyyy too fast. Woah what the heck was I going to say?? He was staring at me expectantly and I was freaking out. What was I going to do? I had this feeling that if I said yes my life would never be the same and that it would most likely lead to us getting married but my rational side wanted to say no. So instead I just said okay and smiled weakly. He was stoked and I was still freaking out. I was worried that all of my well thought out plans for myself were now uprooted.
Us on our first official date, I was an alien and he was an astronaut.
I called my mom, mind you it is 12:30 at night at this point, and told her and she laughed and said she knew this was going to happen. I sat in my empty bathtub telling her that I was worried that I had rushed into this decision and what if I was wrong and wasted my time.. and all these other irrational fears that a 21-year-old girl has when she has never had a boyfriend before. She told me that everything that was supposed to happen would happen and that I need not freak out about the future because "He's a really nice guy Marin, and it will be good for you to finally be around a boy who wants to be around you".
And ultimately it was. I just had to believe that. And it didn't happen over night. There were times when I thought I was making the wrong choice and poor C was so patient and willing to wait until I got there. And I have been forever grateful for that. My life has truly never been the same since that Saturday in October where I received a FaceBook message. And I am so glad it happened. Life is so much better with C.
And life is so much better when you stop trying to control every detail and enjoy the ride.
xoxo
M

Comments
Post a Comment